Contact The Fair Fae

If you have any questions, comments, feedback or you have a product you'd like me to review, email me at thefairfae@hotmail.co.uk

Tuesday 29 May 2012

Really Simple Vegan Lip Scrub

My lips have taken a real beating over the last week. The British weather really is designed to confuse and we get a reputation for always talking about it, but if you had weather that changed so frequently an so massively, you would too!!

Only a fortnight ago I was freezing, reaching for my onesie pyjamas and thermal socks, and then right now, it's hot and humid. I'm sitting with a fan pointed at me wearing not very much and still feeling warm, so it isn't surprising really that my skin is unhappy at all, but I was surprised to have cracked, dry bleeding lips in this weather- that's something that normally happens in the biting cold for me. I assume it's because of all the air conditioning and fans recirculating air. I have been applying Blistex religiously to heal my lips, but I though perhaps they could do with a good scrub!

I've never scrubbed my lips before actually, but I thought I'd search Google and find a recipe, and most of them contain honey, which I hate, and isn't vegan friendly. I'm not a vegan, but I appreciate how hard it is for vegans, especially as my best friend turned to veganism only a few years ago. I also spotted recipes with almond oil in and I am VERY allergic to almonds so that's out.. SO I decided to make my own containing:

Brown Sugar
Bicarbonate of Soda
Olive Oil
Vanilla Essence

I can't tell you ratios or amounts as I'm crap at that. I'm the kind of chef that does things by eye mostly! Just a dash of vanilla, to flavour and scent it all, teeny bloop of olive oil to moisturise, then a combination of the two dry scrubby things in enough to make a paste (more sugar than bicarb will make it less harsh)

Mix it all up in no particular order. I used a teeny wooden spoon and mixed it in a little tupperware tub that I was going to store it in anyway, but you could transfer it to a jar.

I've now put mine in the fridge as I'm sure it will be even nicer when it's ice cold (assuming I can get it out of the tub!

Scrub that on your lips with a finger or toothbrush in a circular motion, then rinse off with warm water and moisturise with with olive oil or a lip balm of choice (I've put the Blistex on again so it can heal any remaining cracks)

Let me know if you give it a go!

No comments:

Post a Comment